Ford announces the updates for Explorer with more technology and choices, this technology joins such existing features as enhanced active park assist, which uses ultrasonic sensors and electric power-assisted steering to help drivers with parallel and perpendicular parking, park-out assist, which helps drivers pull out of parallel parking spots.
For 2018, Explorer also offers a newly available Safe and Smart Package that combines high-demand driver-assist features. The package includes:
- Adaptive cruise control and collision warning with brake support uses radar to detect moving vehicles directly ahead, and changes cruising speed if necessary
- Blind Spot Information System uses radar to trigger a warning when another motorist is in the driver’s blind spot
- Cross-traffic alert uses radar to help alert drivers to oncoming traffic when backing out of a parking space
- Lane-keeping system automatically detects left- and right-hand road lane markings using front camera system. A vibration in the steering wheel alerts the driver if the vehicle begins to drift out of its lane. System can also provide steering torque to help guide the vehicle back into the lane if needed
- Auto high-beams use windshield-mounted cameras to automatically switch between high-beam and low-beam settings when oncoming traffic is detected
The 2018 Explorer arrives at dealerships this fall.